Living in Korea
Korean Conversation
Adaptation to Korea
Rural Living Support
Support for foreigners residing in Korea
Medical Support
Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Child education
Social Security System
Employment and Job Information
Employment and Labor
New Job Center for Women
Cultural Exchange
Taste vs Taste
UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Multicultural Family Support Center
About the Multicultural Family Support Center
Counseling Center
Danuri Helpline 1577-1366
International Marriage Scam Prevention 02-333-1311
Online Counseling
구글번역 닫기

서브 콘텐츠 시작

현재 페이지 위치

  • Living in Korea
  • Support for foreigners residing in Korea
  • Immigration and Stay for Foreigners

Registration of Foreign Residents

Extension of Stay and
Change of Nonimmigrant Status

Extension of Stay

Procedure of Extension of Stay

Procedure of Extension of Stay image

  1. Civil service(civil petitioner)
  2. Reception (public official of Immigration Office)
  3. Review (Investigation when necessary)
  4. Approval (clearance)
  5. Computerization and recording of information pertaining to approval
  6. Issuance of passport, etc. (foreigner)

Required Documents

  • Application
  • Passport and Alien Registration Card (if applicable)
  • Proof of stay
  • Other required documents related to status of stay
  • Fee of KRW 60,000 (KRW 30,000 for F-6 Married Immigration)

Marriage Immigrants

  • Certificate of marriage
  • Copy of resident registration
  • Certificate of place of sojourn (needed only when the addresses of a Korean spouse and his/her foreign partner are different from one another) The head of the Immigration Office may require additional documents if deemed necessary during the application and evaluation process.

Married immigrants who have experienced marriage breakdown will be required to submit different documents from the documents listed above and should contact the General Information Center for Foreigners (1345) for more information.

Change of Nonimmigrant Status

Qualification and Period of Change of Nonimmigrant Status

If foreign residents in Korea intend to cease the activities permitted under their current status and undertake activities permitted under another status, they must visit the appropriate Immigration Office (or branch office) for a permit before undertaking said activities.

  • Foreigners who are currently working under a short-term visiting visa (C-3), and intend to invest in Korea (D-8)

    Stay changes for those with C-3-2 group tour visas are prohibited.

  • Foreigners who have completed their language studies (D-4) and intend to continue studying at a Korean university (D-2)
  • Foreigners who have other stay qualifications (except for carriers of short-term visas effective for less than 90 days, illegal immigrants, etc.) and plan to marry a Korean (F-6 visa)

Required Documents

  • Application and a standard-size photo
  • Passport and alien registration card (if applicable)
  • Other required documents, according to status of stay
  • Fee of KRW 100,000 for change of qualification (fee of KRW 30,000 for registration issuance not included) ※Fee of KRW 200,000 for change of qualification for permanent residence (F-5) (fee of KRW 30,000 for registration issuance not included)


Once an applicant is granted permission for change of status of their stay, the applicant will be re-issued an alien registration card with the new visa status. If permission is denied, a Disapproval Notice on the Change of Status of Sojourn (Enforcement Decree Annex 43-2) will be issued.