Living in Korea
Korean Conversation
Adaptation to Korea
Rural Living Support
Support for foreigners residing in Korea
Medical Support
Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Child education
Social Security System
Employment and Job Information
Employment and Labor
New Job Center for Women
Cultural Exchange
Taste vs Taste
UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Multicultural Family Support Center
About the Multicultural Family Support Center
Counseling Center
Danuri Helpline 1577-1366
International Marriage Scam Prevention 02-333-1311
Online Counseling
구글번역 닫기

서브 콘텐츠 시작

현재 페이지 위치

  • Living in Korea
  • Social Security System
  • Emergency Welfare Aid

Emergency Welfare Aid

If Korean citizens have difficulty subsisting due to a sudden crisis, they can receive temporary support such as living costs. Foreigners can also benefit under this system according to ordinances.

Qualifications of foreign residents for emergency welfare aid (Article 5-2 of the Emergency Aid and Support Act)

  • Foreign residents who are married to Korean citizens
  • Foreign residents who have divorced from Korean spouses or whose spouses are dead, and who are taking care of the parents or children of Korean spouses
  • Foreign residents who are deemed refugees in accordance with Paragraph 2, Article 2 of the National Refugee Law
  • Foreign residents who have been victims of fire, crime, or natural disaster through no fault of their own
  • Foreign residents who are deemed as requiring emergency support by the Minister of Health and Welfare as follows:
    • Foreign residents who are victims of disaster through no fault of their own
    • Foreign residents visiting the country for humanitarian purposes in accordance with Paragraph 3, Article 2 of the National Refugee Law

Emergency welfare

This aims to support families who are having difficulty maintaining livelihood due to an unexpected crisis. It targets those who are ① in crisis (for one of the seven reasons below) or who ② meet the conditions related to income, property, etc.

Emergency Cases

  • Loss of income occurring due to the death of the main income earner, runaway/abandonment, missing person, detention, etc.
  • Serious illness or injury
  • Neglect, abandonment or abuse by a member of the family
  • Household violence or sexual violence
  • Unable to live in house or building due to fire
  • Reasons related to regulations of the local government under the Ordinance of the Ministry of Health and Welfare
  • In addition, as notified by the Minister of the Health and Welfare,
    1. 1. divorce from the main income earner
    2. 2. suspension of power supply
    3. 3. closure or suspension of business of the main earner
    4. 4. difficulty maintaining livelihood due to loss of job of the main earner
    5. 5. difficulty maintaining livelihood for prisoner after release
    6. 6. homelessness due to neglect, abandonment, or other difficulty

Income and property standard conditions

  • Income: Less than 75% of the standard median monthly income
    소득·재산 기준요건 : 가구 규모에 따른 소득·재산 기준요건을 나타낸 표입니다.
    Family size 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    KRW/Month 1,254,0792,135,3232,762,3633,389,4024,016,4414,643,4805,270,519
  • Property standard: Big city (135,000,000 won), small or medium-sized city (85,000,000 won), farming and fishing villages (72,500,000 won)
  • Financial property: 5 million won or less (7 million won or less in case of housing support)

Application and Other Procedures

  • In the event of an emergency, inquire at corresponding branch offices of your city, gun, gu, eup, myeon or dong, or the Call Center of the Ministry for Health, Welfare, and Family Affairs (☎ 129).
  • Public officers will conduct a field investigation, provide aid, and conduct a second review. If the results of the second review determine that the applicant no longer needs or qualifies for support, support is discontinued and the funds may have to be returned.
  • If emergency situations do not improve after emergency welfare program is completed, beneficiaries may be transferred to the related national aid systems or private welfare programs.
  1. Ask for support and report
  2. On-site examination and advanced support

    Mayors, governors of gun or heads of gu offices (Officials in charge of emergency aid)

  3. Post examination

    Examination of income and property

  4. Eligibility review

    Emergency Support Deliberation Commission (Public-Private Partnership)
    Support ended if it is deemed to be inappropriate/return of support funding

  5. Post handover

    Basic livelihood aid/ Private support program

Types of Aid (for a family of 4/month)

Livelihood support costs (1,170,400 won), living costs (643,200 won), medical costs (3 million won/one time)

Other additional payment includes education cost, fuel costs (Oct.~Mar.), childbirth expenses, funeral expenses, electric charges, etc.

Standard of livelihood(as of 2018)

(Unit: KRW/Month)

Living cost subsidy standards : A chart showing the values of subsidies granted based on the number of household members.
No. of family
1 2 3 4 5 6

When the number is 7 or higher, an amount of KRW 216,500 is paid for every additional person

I am married to a Korean husband, and I have a child. My husband died suddenly and I am now having financial problems. Can I get help?
If you have a child to care (with the nationality of the Republic of Korea) and have difficulty in maintaining your livelihood, you are eligible for emergency welfare support. The public officer of the city, gun or gu will conduct due diligence to determine the degree of the emergency, income, and financial status, and decide your eligibility.
Please contact the department in charge of the cities, guns and gus, community service centers of eups, myeons, and dongs, or the Health & Welfare Call Center (☎129).
If you have difficulty communicating in Korean, you may use the translation and interpretation services of the Multicultural Family Support Center or enlist the help of a Korean friend. If you are eligible, you may receive basic living support.