Living in Korea
Korean Conversation
Adaptation to Korea
Rural Living Support
Support for foreigners residing in Korea
Medical Support
Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Child education
Social Security System
Employment and Job Information
Employment and Labor
New Job Center for Women
Cultural Exchange
Taste vs Taste
UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Multicultural Family Support Center
About the Multicultural Family Support Center
Counseling Center
Danuri Helpline 1577-1366
International Marriage Scam Prevention 02-333-1311
Online Counseling
구글번역 닫기

서브 콘텐츠 시작

현재 페이지 위치

  • Living in Korea
  • Support for foreigners residing in Korea
  • Immigration and Stay for Foreigners

Immigration and Stay for Foreigners

Registration of Foreign Residents

Qualifications and Period of Foreign Resident Registration

Foreigners who plan to stay in Korea for more than 90 days must complete their alien registration before the 90 day period is complete.

  • Foreigners who receive stay qualification while in Korea or have a change of stay qualification, must complete their alien registration when receiving or changing their stay qualification.

Required Documents

Required Documents for All Foreign Residents

  • Passport
  • Application form (Annex no. 34 form can be obtained at the Immigration Offices (or branch offices)
  • 1 passport size photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm standard size)

    A close-up natural colored picture with white background which is taken within the last 6 months

  • Registration issuance fee of KRW 30,000 (cash)
  • Certificate of place of sojourn (Supplementary documents differ according to the status of stay. Please contact the Immigration Contact Center to check which documents are required. ☎1345)

Marriage Immigrants

  • Certificate of Marriage
  • Copy of Resident Registration
  • Certificate of place of sojourn (needed only when the addresses of a Korean spouse and his/her foreign partner are different from one another)
    • Registration issuance fee of KRW 30,000 (cash)

      F61 visas are given to the first 90 days from the date of the entry to the country. Alien registration and extension of stay are processed simultaneously. Nationals of the 18 high TB burden countries must obtain a TB examination proof from a public health center or a hospital designated by the Ministry of Justice.

      Two-year stay periods are only awarded to foreigners who have completed Programs for Early Adaptation of Immigrants.

Application and Issuance of Certificate of Alien Registration

Application and (re)issuance of alien registration can only be completed at the immigration office (or branch office) that has jurisdiction over the district in which you live.

Issuance Procedure of Alien Registration Cards

Alien registration cards are issued about 3 weeks after the application date. Alien registration cards can be picked up in person by the applicant at the Immigration Office (or branch office), or requested to be mailed to one’s residence. Deliver services must be requested and paid for at the time of card application.

The Korea Minting and Security Printing Corporation has been responsible for the issuance of alien registration cards since May 1, 2011; it takes about 3 weeks from application to issuance.

The Korea Minting and Security Printing Corporation delivers the alien registration card to the applicant directly; the card does not pass through the district office. Card delivery services can be requested at most immigration offices, including the Seoul Immigration Office and the Seoul South Immigration Office.

Management of Alien Registration Card

Alien registration cards are necessary to verify the identity of foreign residents. Foreign residents are required to carry it at all times.

Note: Anyone who neglects to keep his alien registration card in his possession may be subject to a fine of up to KRW 1 million.

Reissuance of an alien registration card

In the following cases, foreign residents should apply for reissuance of their alien registration card at the appropriate Immigration Office (or branch office) within 14 days.

  • When the alien registration card is lost
  • When the alien registration card is worn-out/unreadable
  • When there is not enough room to mark current information
  • If the name, the gender, the date of birth or the nationality have been changed

Required Documents

  • Passport
  • Application
  • 1 color photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
  • Registration issuance fee of KRW 30,000
Return of alien registration card

Alien registration cards must be returned to the proper authorities in the following cases

  • Those leaving the country permanently : At the airport before departure
  • Those receiving Korean nationality : Within 30 days after the date on which you have finished resident registration
  • In the event of death : Within 30 days of the official date of death